November 18 - 22, 2019
We had a FANTASTIC morning of exploring and learning on Thursday with our Scientist in a Classroom. Special thanks to Phil Moesker, Kristy Gilchrist, Tami Masson and Noli Peet for helping run a center for the morning. We will be following up on this wonderful introduction to simple machines with more learning over the next few weeks.
Here is what is coming up!
* Tuesday, November 19: Crazy Hat and Glasses Day. Students can come to school wearing a crazy hat (purchased or homemade) and/or crazy glasses! 1000 colour team points will be awarded for coming dressed with one item, 2000 points for wearing both the hat and glasses and an additional 500 points for wearing the team bandana! I am looking forward to seeing some creative, wacky outfits!
* Friday, November 22: End of Term 1
* Wednesday, November 27: Open House and Story Hour. The Open House runs from 9-12 am. The kindergarten Story Hour will occur between 9-10 am. Please invite your friends and any other people who you think might be interested in Christian education.
* Friday, November 29: Term 1 Report Cards go home.
* Daily communication folders go home each day. Please take a moment to check for any items that require your attention or to celebrate completed work coming home.
* Library: Our weekly library time has begun on Thursdays. Students may take one book out per week; the book may come back to school the following Thursday (or earlier, if you prefer). New books cannot be taken out until the previously signed out is returned. Thanks for your cooperation.
Leader of the Day: Reminder: Leaders of the Day can bring 1 thing to share with the class - only 1 item please
Monday: Levi M.
* Small group instruction will begin this week, based on the assessments that i conducted over the past two weeks. The student groupings will be fluid, as students learn at different rates. Not every student will meet with me in a small group setting every day but between me and our volunteers, each student will meet twice a week or more.
* Alphabet: Now that we have been introduced to all of our Letterland friends (lowercase letters), we will begin to review our sounds. This week, we will meet the upper case companions that look similar to their lower case letters. After that, we will introduce 2-3 upper case letters a week.
* #'s 1-8: The focus will be on recognizing and printing the number 8.
* Composing and Decomposing Numbers: Students will explore various ways to build 8 using manipulatives. (2+6, 4+4). This is a hands-on introduction to addition and will be our focus for the next few weeks as we explore numbers up to 10 in this manner.
* How animals prepare for winter - hibernation, adaptation/staying active, migration
* Simple machines.
We began learning some French words this month. Everything is done orally and informally. When we stand in line, I touch the boys and say 'garcon' and then touch the girls and say 'fille'. We make garcon/fille patterns. We count to 10 in French while waiting for the bell to ring. We got our wiggles out on a rainy day by dancing (dancez), jumping (sautez), falling down (tombez) while touching our noses (le nez) or our mouths (la bouche)......silly fun! And learning at the same time!
Have a GREAT week!