September 17-21, 2018
We had a great week! Our fire drill (both the practice and the 'real') went well. The children did a wonderful job sharing their 4 special "All About Me" items with their classmates and an even better job of listening to and watching each other as we sat around a circle.
Here's what's coming up!
* School Picture Day is on Tuesday, Sept. 25th. Students are asked to be dressed in full uniform, including the cardigan for the photos. Blue tunic dresses for the girls are welcome.
* Terry Fox Run is on Thursday, Sept. 27th @ 2:10 p.m.. Each student is asked to bring a "toonie for Terry". Parents are invited to join the fun and cheer their child on and/or run and walk alongside!
* Daily communication folders go home each day. Please take a moment to check for any items that require your attention or to celebrate completed work coming home.
* Our weekly Library time is Thursday afternoons. Please have your child return his/her book by Thursday so that they are able to check a new book out.
Leader of the Day:
We began our study of Creation last week and learned about how God spoke light into existence on Day 1. This week we will see that God created the SKY on Day 2.
Memory Work: We will be learning a different memory verse each month. Our school year theme verse will be our focus for September. We will practice regularly in class but please take the time to practice at home as well. I will have the children recite the verse at the end of every month. I have given our JK students a shortened version but if your child is able to learn the entire verse, go for it!
JK: "But we have this treasure in jars of clay....to show God's power."
SK: "But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us." 2Corinthians 4:7
* Last week we began learning/reviewing our letters. We use a program called Letterland to teach the children the letters and sounds. We will do a 'fast track' introduction in the first few weeks of school of the entire alphabet, which will be followed up with more in-depth learning.
* We will continue to focus on learning to recognize and print our names.
* A focus for September will be learning the days of the week in the correct order.
SK: Sight words - I, see. We will do a deeper review of the consonants m,p,s,t and the vowel a on Friday and will begin to blend into simple 3-letter words.
* Rote counting and number recognition from 1 -10. Lots of hands-on activities to engage hands and minds.
* We will continue a math unit called 'Describing Our World' where we practice using language such as bigger/smaller, same/different etc. to describe various objects.
* We will continue to work on routines and becoming familiar with the school environment. Morning circle time will be expanded to include a morning greeting, sharing time and a group activity.
* We will begin a unit "All About Me". This will be a way to celebrate and learn about the unique way that God has created each child.
Have a GREAT week!