March 4 - 8, 2019
One more week before March Break! How the year has flown by! Term 3 will be filled with lots of learning; this is probably my favourite term to teach as routines and expectations are well in place. SK students will begin to really focus on reading this term and JK students will continue to hone the skills they are developing.
Here's what is coming up!
* Thursday and Friday, March 7/8: Term 2 Report Cards. Report cards go home for the JK students on Thursday and on Friday for SK students. Please feel free to contact me if you have any comments and/or concerns
* March 11-15: March Break.
* Tuesday, March 19: Crew Day. The theme for this month's crew day is Superheroes!! Come dressed as your favourite superhero and receive 1000 crew points. Wear your crew t-shirt under your outfit and receive an additional 500 points!
* Thursday, March 28: Dental Screening Day. This has been rescheduled from the previously cancelled day in January.
* Daily communication folders go home each day. Please take a moment to check for any items that require your attention or to celebrate completed work coming home. I will continue sending a weekly homework sheet/activity this Tuesday. Please return these by the following Tuesday (or earlier) so that I can look them over. Feel free to do these with your child, if they require your encouragement/help.
* Our weekly Library time is Thursday afternoons. Please have your child return his/her book by Thursday so that they are able to check a new book out.
Leader of the Day: Reminder: Leaders of the Day can bring 1 thing to share with the class - only 1 item please!
* We will be learning about David for the next 3 weeks (until March Break).
* We will continue to review the alphabet, in depth, one letter at a time. Printing with correct letter formation is practiced daily.
* Focus on Beginning and Ending sounds in words for all students. SK students will continue to practice blending sounds into short consonant-vowel-consonant words.
* Poetry: Higglety, PIgglety, Pop!! For the remainder of the year, I will be introducing a new poem on a bi-weekly basis. We will use the poem as a starting point for language activities -- looking for letters, words, capitals, punctuation, rhymes....etc. The poems are being collected in a poetry notebook which will be sent home with the children at the end of the school year.
* JK/SK: Rote counting and number recognition from 1 - 60. Lots of hands-on activities to engage hands and minds.
* JK/SK: Measurement using non-standard units of measure (ie. how many blocks long is the pencil?). This unit will be completed this week.
* JK: focus on numbers 1 - 6 (number identification and proper printing of the numbers). Practice with ABAB patterns.
* SK - focus on teen numbers (13 is 1 ten with 3 more), practice with 10's and 1's (42 = 4 tens and 2 ones). Practice creating AAB, ABB and ABC patterns.
* We will be 'tying up loose ends' this week. A new theme will be introduced the week after March Break!
* In JK/SK, we learn French in an informal and oral way - through song, chants, greetings... * body parts - la bouche, la tete, les yeux, les oreilles, les dents
* greetings - Bonjour, Au revoir * colours (rouge, orange, brun, vert, violet et rose) and numbers 1-10
* NEW: winter words
* Bean bag fun - practise throwing and catching; playing games with bean bags.
Have a GREAT week!